Battle of the Boroughs 2011: FAQs

presented in partnership with City Parks Foundation SummerStage

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Battle of the Boroughs.

CAN I ENTER?

If you fit into one of the following categories (ALL genres welcome), you are eligible to submit if you are not professionally represented (under management).

• Bands
  • Chamber Ensembles
  • Vocalists
  • Instrumentalists
  • Performance Artists
  • MC’s
  • DJ’s

Due to technical and space limitations, we are unable to support dancers, orchestras, or circus acts at this time.

HOW DO I SUBMIT?

Click on the link below and fill out the submission form in its entirety. This will include submitting two pieces of media: (1) uploading a high-resolution photo and (2) an audio or video clip. (See our guidelines for technical specifications.) Any incomplete forms or files that do not adhere to the necessary digital requirements will not be considered.

HOW DO I WIN?

A)  On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4 pm EST on www.thegreenespace.org, we will announce the 8-10 artists that will represent each borough for a total of 40-50 individual artists or groups presented from February through June 2011.  Selected artists will be notified by e-mail following the announcement.

B)  Those artists will then go on to perform in the First Friday’s monthly signature series in The Greene Space based on the following schedule:

• February 4 @ 7 pm - BROOKLYN: selected artists from Brooklyn will perform
  • March 4 @ 7 pm - QUEENS: selected artists from Queens will perform
  • April 1 @ 7 pm - THE BRONX: selected artists from the Bronx will perform
  • May 6 @ 7 pm - STATEN ISLAND: artists from Staten Island will perform
  • June 3 @ 7pm - MANHATTAN: artists from Manhattan will perform

C) At each of the Battle events listed above, the in-house and webcast audiences will vote to determine the top artists of the night. The performances by the top artists will then be posted on The Greene Space website for the general public to vote.  The final winner—the artist with the most online votes—will be announced on The Greene Space website, Facebook, and Twitter.

D) SEMI-FINAL CONCERT EVENT: The winner from each Battle of the Boroughs events will compete on Friday, June 17th at 7pm.  The featured winner will be selected by tallying the votes from a combination of an esteemed panel of judges (33%), the in-house audience votes (33%), and the webcast audience’s text votes (33%).  The winner of the Ultimate Battle will be announced that night, at 11 p.m.

HOW ARE ARTISTS SELECTED?

A team of WNYC/WQXR staff and hosts will view and adjudicate all submissions.  Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:

• Technical Excellence (a high-level of proficiency and skill in the selected art form)
  • Innovation (a uniquely individual approach and style to the work)
  • Artistry (honoring and expanding the genre or discipline)
  • Performance Quality (providing a polished product that achieves all of the aforementioned elements)

WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION?

• All digital audio or video submissions should not exceed 5 minutes in length.
  • All image submissions should be .JPG, .PNG, or .GIF files.
  • All audio submissions should be MP3 files uploaded via Soundcloud.
  • All video submissions should be uploaded through third-party websites. We recommend YouTube or Vimeo.
  • National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting have negotiated arrangements with the music licensing societies (ASCAP, BMI and SESAC), whereby we have blanket coverage for musical performances broadcast on air and in our web programming.  A composition may not be covered by our arrangement with the music licensing societies because it is a new work or the music publisher of the work decides not to use the services of the music licensing societies.  In these extremely rare instances, you are responsible to obtain from all necessary parties, (including, but not limited to, other music publishers, recording companies, and songwriters) any and all other licenses and rights required.
  • If chosen to perform in the Battle of the Boroughs, the piece should be between 5-10 minutes in length, within the guidelines of the technical specs that are detailed below.
  • You must be willing, if necessary, to bring all backline (with the exception of a drum kit and a piano).

WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?

All entries must be received by 11:59 pm EST, Monday, December 31st, 2010 January 3rd, 2011.  Any submissions received after that time will not be considered.

WHAT WILL I WIN?

You will win a featured concert in The Greene Space that will be videocast live on www.thegreenespace.org and an opener for a headliner at a SummerStage concert, to be held in the summer of 2011. You will also receive a HD DVD of your performance and broadcast quality audio recording in addition to a professional photo shoot of your performance to support your creative evolution.

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone at least 18 years of age or older can respond to the Battle of the Boroughs.  No employees of WNYC, their immediate family or persons living in the same household are eligible for participation.  Each act must include a majority of New York City residents.  At least one member from the act must live in the borough in which you compete. Proof of residency will be required if you are selected to perform in a Battle of the Boroughs event.

GENERAL:  By participating in The Greene Space’s Battle of the Boroughs, participants agree to the official rules, and that WNYC, its agents and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from their use or participation in the call for performances.  Prize is nontransferable and cannot be exchanged for cash.  There can be no substitutions for a prize of equal or greater value.  National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting have negotiated arrangements with the music licensing societies (ASCAP, BMI and SESAC), whereby we have blanket coverage for musical performances broadcast on air and in our web programming.  A composition may not be covered by our arrangement with the music licensing societies because it is a new work or the music publisher of the work decides not to use the services of the music licensing societies.  In these extremely rare instances, you are responsible to obtain from all necessary parties, (including, but not limited to, other music publishers, recording companies, and songwriters) any and all other licenses and rights required. Copyright for the entries will remain solely with the artists, though by entering this call for art you are giving WNYC permission to use your entry on the website and in The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space.  Winner’s names may be used for publicity purposes without further compensation.

RESTRICTIONS: Restrictions may apply.  By participating in The Greene Space’s Battle of the Boroughs, a participant agrees to be bound by these official rules, and by all decisions of the panel.

NOTICE:  WNYC Radio, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of the Website or otherwise in violation of the rules.  It further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify any contest not capable of completion as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.

STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?

Leave a comment for The Greene Space staff below.

NYC & Company is the proud signature sponsor of Battle of the Boroughs

The Good Bear Seal is the exclusive provider of beer for the Battle of the Boroughs

AOC Fine Wines is the exclusive artisanal wine sponsor of The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space.

Additional partners include:

More in:

Comments [141]

Joan

What are the song reqruirements for the final battle?
Can you perform a new tune?

May. 16 2011 01:13 PM
Snehasish & Som from NYC/ India

greetings wnyc, were looking forward to meeting you all in person or perhaps, online at the June 3rd battle of the boroughs. cheers!
-Snehasish & S.O.M.

Apr. 06 2011 09:38 PM
Sal Azzarelli from Staten Island

When will the finalist receive information for the performance day.
Thanks

Jan. 28 2011 11:46 AM
Fruka from Staten Island

Is there any chance I can still be a participant this year? If not, I am definitely interested in next years contest. Even if I'm on by then.

Thank in advance.
Fruka. Fresh Raw Underground Known All Around.

Jan. 21 2011 11:33 PM
Vanderlei from Manhattan

Can you please confirm that you've received a Battle of the Boroughs submission for Vanderlei Pereira and Blindfold Test? It was submitted on 12/31/10.

Vanderlei

Jan. 20 2011 12:57 AM
Little Embers from Queens

Hello!

Can you confirm that you received our submission? We submitted on 12/31/10.

Thank you!
Little Embers

Jan. 18 2011 03:13 PM
Linda Kpaka from Staten Island

It is Jan 17, 2011, is it still to late to enter or upload a video from youtube? I just found out about the talent competition and I am from Staten Island.

Jan. 17 2011 12:44 PM
Vanderlei from Manhattan

Hello,

Vanderlei

Jan. 13 2011 11:14 AM
Vanessa Perillo from Staten Island

Is it possible to edit my video that was sent to you guys? Or provide you with an alternative link?

Jan. 11 2011 11:49 PM
Augustine Sasso from Brooklyn

Dear Greene Space
Did you receive my submission? I sent it on 12/31/2010.

Jan. 10 2011 11:26 AM
Naomi

Hi GreeneSpace,

FINOTEE is so excited to hear the outcome on January 18th. We are sure that you have received many talented submissions. Good Luck with everything!!!

Naomi

Jan. 09 2011 04:16 PM
Ted Lochwyn from Staten Island

Did you receive my e-mail, inquiring about what "download to my account" means?

Jan. 08 2011 05:01 PM
Benny from staten island

Can i edit the info I submitted a few weeks ago?

Jan. 07 2011 01:19 PM
Ang

I was just sent this information by a press contact and would love to enter, is there any way to still do so? Thanks

Jan. 04 2011 06:22 PM
Ayo and MoTion from ny

Hey,

I having been trying to submit my app for the last 4-5 hrs and it keeps saying it doesnt recognize the soundcloud url. i was careful to make sure it was the url for the actual audio and i also shared it with WNYC. I have submitted again but i have no way of knowing if you actually got my app. please confirm

Jan. 03 2011 11:31 PM

Anthony Lopez,

All entries must be submitted electronically. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Jan. 03 2011 12:58 PM

Alex,

You're right - our deadline was unclear. As a result, we'll accept submissions through 11:59pm tonight.

Jan. 03 2011 12:01 PM

Daisy Jopling,

At least half your band must live in the boroughs, so you can use your drummer from NJ.

Jan. 03 2011 11:59 AM

Becca Schack, HarpersFerryMusicClub, Salvatore Diana, Ajamu Summerville, Ikhlaq Hussain, Powers, The Del-Reys, and thependulumswings,

We've received your completed submissions.

Jan. 03 2011 11:57 AM
thependulumswings from Brooklyn

Greene Space -- Did ya' receive our submission?
Thanks- The Pendulum Swings .

Jan. 03 2011 01:39 AM
The Del-Reys from Brooklyn

Hello! I would like to receive confirmation that our application was received. I attempted to send it several times, but was unclear about whether the form properly submitted.

Thanks!
The Del-Reys of Brooklyn

Dec. 31 2010 03:53 PM
Powers from Brooklyn

Hi,

I just wanted to know if you have received my submission.

Thanks,
Powers

Dec. 31 2010 03:50 PM
Ikhlaq Hussain from Manhattan

Dear Greene Space,
Kindly confirm that you received my application.
Thank you!
Happy New Year!
Best regards,
Ikhlaq Hussain

Dec. 31 2010 02:38 PM
Anthony Lopez from Brooklyn

i was unable to leave a sample of my music because i currently dont own a computer, will i still be able to qualify to preform? You can call me and i can rap on the stop my music is clean without cussing.

Thanks,

Dec. 31 2010 12:01 PM
Alex from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, just wanted to point out that the guidelines above have an error. As a deadline you have, "11:59 pm EST, Monday, December 31st, 2010." The 31st is actually a Friday.

Dec. 31 2010 09:56 AM
Ajamu Summerville from Queens

I am emailing to confirm my submission from Jamu being sent with my youtube link. Thank you.

Dec. 31 2010 09:18 AM
Salvatore Diana from Manhattan

Hi. Just wanted to ensure that the registration for The Salvatones went through? Thanks!

Dec. 31 2010 09:06 AM
HarpersFerryMusicClub from Queens

I put in a submission that was over 5 min. called Everything Matters. So I'm submitting another - the Saga of John Brown

Dec. 31 2010 03:34 AM
Daisy Jopling from Manhattan

I live in Westchester, and have 3 other members of my band. My pianist lives in Manhattan & my bass player lives in Brooklyn. I have 2 drummers, who each play about 1/2 of all our shows. One lives in NJ, and he is on both the video and demo audio track that I have submitted, so it would make more sense to perform with him if we are chosen. My other drummer lives in Brooklyn. Would I need to perform with my drummer in Brooklyn to qualify for the Battle?
Thank you!

Dec. 31 2010 12:28 AM
Becca Schack from Manhattan

Just want to confirm that you received my submission I just sent with my youtube link. Please let me know. Happy New Year! Thanks!

Dec. 30 2010 08:01 PM
Mimi Quillin from workspace on SI

Thanks so much Greenspace. You are the best. What a lot of work ! THanks mimi

Dec. 30 2010 04:05 PM

Spanglish Fly, Jane LeCroy, and Lukas,

We have received your submissions.

Our system was not set up to send out email confirmations - that's why no one got one!

Dec. 30 2010 02:53 PM
Lukas from Brooklyn

My comment echoes a few of the below concerns regarding submission verification. I submitted my act `CoolHandBlues' last week and didn't receive a confirmation that it went through, can someone please help me, thank-you.

Dec. 30 2010 02:11 PM
Jane LeCroy from NYC

I thought I had to submit both an audio recording AND a performance- Please use the soundcloud audio submission of my band Transmitting, the song "Wonderella Marvella"- that is my official submission. The performance I sent via YouTube is of a different song, I thought you just needed to see the band in action- I have very little video of our performances and had no video performance recorded for "Wonderella Marvella". Is that ok? Has my submission been received fine? Thanks.

Dec. 30 2010 02:10 PM
isai from Big Jersey!

Echoing Caitlin's comment. New Jersey listens to WNYC and we have great talent! a "sixth borough" should be added.

Dec. 30 2010 01:50 PM
Spanglish Fly from Manhattan

Hi there!

Can you verify that you received a submission from Spanglish Fly? Thanks!

Dec. 30 2010 12:41 PM

Amy Rachman, Mimi Quillin, big tara, Sister Anne, mamarazzi, and Emily Warren,

We have received your completed submissions.

Dec. 30 2010 12:32 PM

The Ks,

You can email your new Soundcloud URL to thegreenespace@wnyc.org if you'd like, or else we'll just listen to the first five minutes of the audio you did submit.

Dec. 30 2010 12:25 PM
Emily Warren & The Betters @ The Gramercy Theatre

Just want to make sure you received our submission..

Thanks

Emily Warren & The Betters

Dec. 30 2010 11:46 AM
mamarazzi from Brooklyn, NY

hi, just making sure you received mamarazzi's submission. We didn't receive a confirmation email or anything, but we think we submitted everything correctly. Thanks.

Dec. 30 2010 09:13 AM
Sister Anne

Just wondering if you reeived Sister Anne's submission and that it was up to par.
Thanks!

Dec. 29 2010 09:13 PM
big tara from Manhattan

Hi. Just wanted to make sure you got my submission and that it fulfilled all the requirements in case I need to resubmit anything. Thanks!

Dec. 29 2010 03:44 PM
Mimi Quillin from work space

I am wondering if you received my submission 12/29/10
I will wait for confirmation. Thanks a lot. Mimi

Dec. 29 2010 03:41 PM
The Ks from Manhattan

I submitted a piece that is over 5 minutes. Is there a way I can edit my submission so I can submit a shorter piece?

Dec. 29 2010 03:12 PM
Amy Rachman from Queens, NY

I just filled out the survey, complete with my link to SoundCloud, but I do not have a confirmation that you received everything. Can you please tell me if you have?

Thank you.

Dec. 29 2010 02:01 PM

Okai,

We have not received your submission. Can you try submitting the form again? If you're still having trouble, send your materials to thegreenespace@wnyc.org

Dec. 29 2010 02:01 PM

Dina,

We got it. Thanks!

Dec. 29 2010 01:56 PM

Naomi,

We'll just watch the first five minutes. No problem!

Dec. 29 2010 01:54 PM
Dina from Manhattan

My apologies... I didn't see your response before making an effort to re-submit by incuding the youtube url info. for the video in one of the text fields. Please pardon the oversight and let me know that all is well with my entry. Thanks so much for your patience - all the best!

Dec. 29 2010 12:43 PM
Okai from Brooklyn

I wanted to make sure you got my submission. I made a few changes to my SoundCloud track info so just wanted to make sure it goes through.
Thanks, Okai

Dec. 28 2010 07:06 PM
Naomi White Randolph from THe Bronx

FINOTEE just sent a submission but did not double check the tech guidelines. Our submission is 5:20 long. We are editing file for resubmission. We apologize for the oversight.

Dec. 28 2010 11:42 AM

Dina,

We received your Soundcloud link. That's enough - no need to worry about the YouTube link also.

Dec. 28 2010 11:07 AM

Glenn Raucher,

We received your completed application. Putting the video link in the Other Contact Info section worked fine.

Dec. 28 2010 11:06 AM

Alex Stimmel,

Fear not - we've received your completed submission with your photo.

Dec. 28 2010 11:04 AM

To Mel Foop, Rachel Mason, Pete Herman, Sandra, FACE Theatre, and Drew DiCamillo,

We have received your submissions for the Battle of the Boroughs and they're all complete.

On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 4 pm EST, we will announce the 8-10 artists that will represent each borough on thegreenespace.org. Selected artists will be notified by e-mail following the announcement.

Dec. 28 2010 11:03 AM
Drew DiCamillo from Queens

To Whom It May Concern:

I registered my band the Big Daddy Project for the Battle of the Burroughs. I am representing Queens County. Is there a way of receiving a confirmation that you received my entry form and that I entered all the fields properly? Especially, the Soundcloud MP3. Thank you and every good with to you

Drew DiCamillo
Drewdicamillo@yahoo.it
646 210 1632

Dec. 28 2010 09:20 AM
Glenn Raucher from Manattan

I, too, entered a valid url for our video, and got a "do note recognize" message. I just want to be sure that you have indeed received my submission for BOTB...thanks!

~Glenn

Dec. 28 2010 08:55 AM
FACE Theatre from Manhattan

We submitted about seven days ago and never received any confirmation e-mail, or some affirming web page when we pressed 'submit'.

Is it safe to assume our application went through?

Many thanks,

FACE

Dec. 27 2010 11:21 PM
Mel Foop from Manhattan

Now I have submitted the form. Please let me know if I have submitted properly. Thanks, Mel Foop

Dec. 27 2010 10:49 PM
Sandra & The Smallworld Band from Manhattan

Happy Holidays to all and the Best New Year to come!!

Can you please tell me if my submission was received and that it went through ok? I am excited about the possibility. Also, when will you notify bands whether they have made it to represent their borough? Thank you :0)

Dec. 27 2010 12:50 PM
Pete Herman from Brooklyn

Just wanted to make sure our submission was received. Our band is Pete Wire. We entered Brooklyn Battle.
Thanks,
Pete Wire

Dec. 26 2010 02:05 PM
Rachel Mason from Queens!

I'd love to know if you got my submission and if I didn't do it properly will I be informed?

I submitted a compilation video as I am applying in the performance art category and
my piece if selected will include several numbers with costume changes and video projection.

Dec. 25 2010 12:40 PM
Dina from Manhattan

Hello Greenspace -

I tried submitting a video using a YouTube url several times but kept getting message saying that it could not understood... Impatience got the best of me and I submitted the application without it. Is there anyway I can still include it with my submission? Please advise. Thanks so much!

Dec. 24 2010 05:14 PM
Alex Stimmel from Brooklyn

Hi - Have been trying to submit, have everything filled out, but I keep getting a "Fix the problems above" message when I try & submit. The only thing I can see is that, when I go back up to see my inputs, the spot to upload the image is suddenly blank. However, I'm using an image with the correct specifications (jpg of only 1.2MB), & everything else is correct & no other fields are cleared. Thanks for your thoughts on how to fix! -
Alex

Dec. 24 2010 11:20 AM
Mel Foop from Manhattan

Did you receive my submission? Once I pulled the trigger at SoundCloud, I never got back to the entry form.

Dec. 23 2010 08:41 PM

Carl Bishop and Eve L.,

We received your submissions. Thanks!

Dec. 23 2010 04:27 PM
Eve L. from Manhattan

Hi,
Can you confirm that you received my application?
Thanks.

Dec. 23 2010 12:09 AM
Carl Bishop

Not sure if you received my entry. Please let me know. Thanks.

Dec. 22 2010 05:17 PM

Paul Josephs,

We've received everything for your entry. Thanks!

Dec. 22 2010 11:48 AM

Liz from Staten Island,

We've received your entry.

Dec. 22 2010 11:45 AM

Elvira,

No, you must currently reside in one of the five boroughs.

Dec. 22 2010 11:40 AM
elvira from edgewater ny

i was born in nyc and lived there for 1 years of my life and just recently moved to NJ..can i still submit my application here?

Dec. 21 2010 11:54 PM
Liz from Staten Island

I completed the application and submission, but I'm not sure it was received-I did not get a confirmation email. Please let me know if my application went through and if I missed something.
Thanks!

Dec. 21 2010 09:37 PM
John Brodeur from Manhattan

Never mind the comment below. My computer must have been causing the error. All better now.

Dec. 21 2010 09:03 PM
John Brodeur from Manhattan

I have filled out the online form and attached all necessary files, but I am continually given an error message (I don't recognize this video url format) under the box for the AUDIO link. Tried changing the audio entry to just "soundcloud" but still getting that error. Is there any other way to submit materials?

Dec. 21 2010 07:17 PM
Paul Josephs from brooklyn

And yet another, I just was typing in my application and it automatically submitted. Do you have everything required? I was in the process of inputting the technical specifications when it automatically submitted the page. Please let me know if I need to submit again or if you have all the material necessary. The first question I asked regarding the length of the song can be disregarded. Thanks

Dec. 21 2010 04:51 PM
Paul Josephs from brooklyn

Hey, one more question:
when you say "submit a video of your performance" do you mean any performance or a video of the same song we submit to the contest?

Dec. 21 2010 04:08 PM
Paul Josephs

The tune I would like to submit is 5:10min.
The last 10 seconds is just the ending, should I edit a fade to make it exactly 5 min or would the competition rather have the full tune as it is meant to be?
Thanks

Dec. 21 2010 03:41 PM

Johnny Young,

No. You must choose one of your bands.

Dec. 21 2010 02:13 PM
Johnny Young from Brooklyn

I'm in 2 bands, can I enter them both?

Dec. 21 2010 11:12 AM

Mel Foop,

You can submit a five minute excerpt of a longer piece for consideration.

Dec. 20 2010 12:44 PM

Verse Essential,

Yes, we received your new submission and deleted your original one.

Dec. 20 2010 12:33 PM

Pink Chocolate,

Yes, that photo is OK to submit.

Dec. 20 2010 12:32 PM

Sal,

That's correct - you are no longer eligible.

Dec. 20 2010 12:31 PM
Verse Essential from Queens, NYC

Hi, I resubmitted my application for the second time because the first song i submitted was not good. Please let me know if you got my new submission? Thanks!

Dec. 20 2010 01:55 AM
Mel Foop from Manhattan

I am confused in that the piece to be performed is supposed to be 5 to 10 minutes in length, but the submission is requested to not exceed 5 minutes. Are we not submitting the same piece we intend to perform?

Dec. 20 2010 12:45 AM
Pink Chocolate from bklyn

We just recently got new band members and havent had a proper shoot. However, we have a picture of me (singer) and guitarist together during a show. We didn't get any good group shots this past show cuz the stage. Is that an okay picture to submit?

Dec. 20 2010 12:18 AM
Sal from 1 express stop away..

My wife and I lived in manhattan for dacades but when we got married we moved to Westchester. Does this mean we are now inelegible to enter into this contest?

Dec. 19 2010 07:49 PM
Bop Monroe from Brooklyn

Hi! We've been playing NYC for 10 years now. If our band BOP MONROE & POCKET MONSTER gets a spot in the Brooklyn shows, it'll be on my birthday!
Thank you for the opportunity & your consideration!

Dec. 16 2010 07:04 PM

civil_n_brief,

Fill out the form again using the same email address. Once we've received your new entry, we'll delete your original entry.

Dec. 16 2010 12:09 PM

Andrew,

We received your entry.

Dec. 16 2010 12:08 PM

Stephanie,

Yes. At least half your act is from the boroughs (namely you), so you are eligible.

Dec. 16 2010 12:07 PM
civil_n_brief

how would i go about changing the song i've submitted? Thanks!

Dec. 16 2010 08:42 AM
lilychrystie from Manhattan

In a reply to Jasmine you wrote: "Choose one borough you'd like to represent, keeping in mind which boroughs will be the most competitive." Does that mean we are all to assume that more musicians-or talented musicians- live, say, in Brooklyn or Manhattan and therefore it would be wise to compete for Staten Island if one were eligible? If so, are we handicapping based on population? The Bronx has some of the best LAtin musicians in the world; Queens has expat sitar stars, erhu and pipa masters, and Staten Island has Italian mandolin players, accordianists, tenors, plus rappers, MC's..... I don't understand how we figure the odds?

Dec. 15 2010 04:08 AM
Andrew Clarke

Just checking if you received my entry

Dec. 14 2010 11:31 PM
Stephanie from Bronx, NY

I want to enter the contest as a vocalist who wants to represent the Bronx (I'm an NYC resident) but my accompanist (a guitarist) is from New Paltz. Is that a problem?

Dec. 14 2010 06:38 PM

To Verse Essential, Faser Hardin, and Joe Yoga,

Yes, we received your submissions.

Dec. 14 2010 11:38 AM

L Wats and rheetah,

Since the majority of your bands lives outside of the boroughs, you are not eligible for entry.

Dec. 14 2010 11:33 AM

With regards to strong language,

There are not specific restrictions to the language of the songs performed during the Battle of the Boroughs. However, The Greene Space would like participants to keep in mind the inclusive, friendly nature of the events and the diversity in ages and backgrounds of the audience.

Dec. 14 2010 11:31 AM

To everyone wondering about the residency requirements,

Each act must include a majority of New York City residents. At least one member from the act must live in the borough in which you compete.

Dec. 14 2010 11:30 AM
Joe Yoga from Manhattan

Hi, just checking to make sure my submission was received, I think I had to fill out the form twice. My internet connection was being weird.

Thanks!

Dec. 13 2010 11:47 PM
Faser Hardin from Manhattan

I just want to make sure you received my application. I couldn't tell after I submitted it. My band is the NYCity Slickers, Thanks.

Dec. 13 2010 12:40 PM
Verse Essential from Queens, NYC

Did you get my application?

Dec. 13 2010 12:18 PM

Adam,

Only one song can be submitted.

Dec. 13 2010 11:36 AM

Mitch,

All contestants must be 18 years or older.

Dec. 13 2010 11:35 AM

Cyn,

If three of your band members live in one borough, choose that borough. If not, choose one of the boroughs where two of your band members reside.

Dec. 13 2010 11:34 AM

12-string Frank,

If you a have your performance on a CD, you can rip an MP3 and upload it to Soundcloud. See the directions above.

Dec. 13 2010 11:30 AM

Ki Ki,

Your submission was received. Thanks!

Dec. 13 2010 11:28 AM
Diane from New York Metropolitan Area

Your reply about different rules for different states precluding people from outside NY makes absolutely no sense. You are governed by the State of New York. That is not a reason to exclude people from other states. I am from New Jersey and my group is from NYC and I would like to enter. Plus, there is no mention of this in your ads, nor is it called Battle of the Boroughs there. Your station serves the NYC metro area, and we love you, all around the town. Please reconsider, and say so on the site. Thank you.

Dec. 13 2010 11:26 AM
12-String Frank from Staten Island, NY

Why can't you look a performer's work on Myspace? THAT's the reason we have it on Myspace. I cannot upload from the computer. It is not working. My work exists only in my Myspace or on a CD. Should I send you a CD of my work? Please help me.
FG

Dec. 12 2010 05:13 PM
VERSE ESSENTIAL from Queens, NYC

HI. WILL CURSE WORDS IN A RAP SONG BE A PROBLEM? IF SO, I HAVE A EDITED VERSION OF "IMANUP" OR I CAN CHOOSE ANOTHER RECORD OFF INGENIOUS IF YOU WANT. IT'S NO PROBLEM. ALL OF MY SONGS ARE COVERED BY SESAC. PLEACE CLECK OFF THE LINK HERE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO: VERSEESSENTIAL.BANDCAMP.COM

Dec. 12 2010 03:41 AM
Ki Ki Hawkins from Bronx

I just wanted to make sure that my submission was received. This is too important to wonder if all info was received and processed. Thanks

Dec. 11 2010 10:36 PM

Keesha,

Enter as a vocalist but please list the names of your back up singers.

Dec. 10 2010 04:56 PM

Mythical Legends,

Yes, we received your submission.

Dec. 10 2010 04:54 PM

Eve,

We will only listen to the first five minutes of your submission.

Dec. 10 2010 04:53 PM

Salvatore Diana,

Yes, you can compete in Manhattan.

Dec. 10 2010 04:52 PM
Keesha from Manhattan

Can a vocalist perform with her own band and background singers? or would the vocalist have to enter as a band?

Dec. 09 2010 07:30 PM
Adam from Brooklyn

If my client plans to do 2 songs within the 5-10 minute time slot, is that acceptable? May she submit an mp3 of one song and a performance video of the other song?

Dec. 08 2010 09:37 PM
Loretta from NJ

Any chance of including New Jersey artists i this contest???

Dec. 07 2010 09:43 PM
nerddgrl

I was wondering if there were any restrictions to language in our original pieces. Like curse words and all that.

Dec. 07 2010 08:42 PM
Mythical Legends from Brooklyn

Hey, sorry to bother you guys, but we just wanted to make sure you received our submission so we don't send another one or do send another one if we need to. Thank you!

Dec. 07 2010 07:36 PM
rheetah from New City, NY

I have a similar question to one of the others who posted. If one member of the band is from Brooklyn, but the others are not from the boroughs, can the band still enter?

Dec. 07 2010 07:10 PM
Eve from Manhattan

Are you very strict about submitting 5 minutes for a spoken word performance? I have live pieces already taped that are around 6 minutes.

Dec. 07 2010 01:24 AM
Mitch from Brooklyn

My wife and 10 year old son play piano duets. Can a 10 year old be eligible if he plays with an adult?

Thanks

Dec. 06 2010 08:34 PM
L Wats

Hello,

The lead singer of my band is from out of the boroughs, but the majority of the rest of the band lives in NYC. Can we still enter?
Thanks!

Dec. 06 2010 07:14 PM
Salvatore Diana from Manhattan

I produce and sing in a group called The Salvatones. We are an 7 voice a cappella ensemble. 3 of the singers are in Manhattan and 1 is an SI resident. Can we compete in the Manhattan competition?

Dec. 06 2010 03:29 PM
Jeilan M. Estevez from Brooklyn

I'm interested in singing Two songs:
- Don't Worry Baby - by the Beach Boys
(in English)
&
- Lloviendo Estrellas - Sung by Cristian Castro, written by Alejandro Montalban
(in Spanish)

I just wondered if these two songs are licensed under the music societies listed in the guidelines and have blanket coverage by Greenspace. The Spanish song, Lloviendo Estrellas, I think is licensed with ASCAP, but I wanted to verify that.

Thank you.
Jeilan

Dec. 05 2010 01:24 PM
Cyn from Astoria, NY

The reply to Jasmin on November 29th says that you can choose a borough if the band members are from different boroughs. I am in the same situation. We have 5 band members and we are from 3 different boroughs. I was all ready to enter when I saw the response to Jasmin, but then on the application form it says that the majority of the group members must be from the same borough to qualify.
Can you please clarify? Thanks!

Dec. 02 2010 08:58 AM

Lady Z,

(1) If the music is licensed by ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC then you're covered.

(2) No, the song you submit must be the song you will perform in The Greene Space.

Dec. 01 2010 03:28 PM
Claire from NJ

Need that 6th Borough (for us in NJ)!!!!

Nov. 29 2010 05:05 PM
Lady Z from Queens, NY

1. Does a vocalist need to perform an original piece? If not, can it be a cover of a song by any other established artist?

2. If there isn't a preexisting audio sample or video of the intended performance piece, can a video or audio sample of another song be submitted just so you can "see what the talent has?"

Thanks so much!

~LZ~

Nov. 29 2010 04:34 PM

Caitlin,

We have limited the competition to the five boroughs of New York City because laws about competitions and prizes vary from state to state. Sorry!

Nov. 29 2010 11:23 AM

Jasmine,

Yes, you can still enter! Choose one borough you'd like to represent, keeping in mind which boroughs will be the most competitive.

Nov. 29 2010 11:20 AM
Jasmine

The members of my band are from three different boroughs (i.e., one is from Manhattan, one is from Brooklyn, and one is from the Bronx). Can we just select one borough to represent, or does our multi-borough status disqualify us?

Nov. 27 2010 04:13 PM

Ian and Roy,

You will not receive a confirmation email. Both of your registrations went through. Thanks!

Nov. 24 2010 09:57 AM
Ian from Brooklyn

There was no confirmation that my registration went through.
And no email response either.
Will we be receiving anything?

Nov. 23 2010 04:39 PM
Roy Holland from Manhattan

Is there a way to find out if my registration has been received correctly?

Nov. 17 2010 10:02 PM
cate songbird from Songbird Flipping about in Queens

This is awesome! I'm so in! Thank you for doing this.

Nov. 17 2010 01:18 PM
Henry from Da Bronx

Will the winners for each borough from last year be invited back to perform (not compete) for each borough's night?

Nov. 12 2010 05:49 PM
Caitlin from Jersey City

Any chance you'd add a "sixth borough" category for those based near but not quite in the city?

Nov. 12 2010 12:46 PM
ginger bennett from Nyack, NY

Hi. Will you ever hold a battle of the bands for teenagers?

Nov. 09 2010 12:11 PM