Battle of the Boroughs: Winner

Friday, June 18, 2010

Congratulations to Joe Thompson & The Comfortable Catastrophe, winner of the Battle of the Boroughs.

What do they win?

• an exclusive live concert in The Greene Space, which includes a live video webcast
  • a professional photo shoot
  • an HD-DVD and CD of their performance
  • the opportunity to open for a headlining artist at SummerStage

Watch the winning performance.

Watch the entire Ultimate Battle of the Boroughs.

More in:

Comments [7]

Ran from Astoria

It's easy to disagree with this choice--as many of the other performers were more typical of the NYC music scene. I think the selection of Joe Thompson and the Comfortable Catastrophe was a ballsy choice and I'm happy to see our little blossoming music scene get some visibility. Overall, a great event with some amazing performances.

Jun. 22 2010 04:40 PM
Sheia Kavanagh from tribeca, nyc

SHAME ON YOU, JUDGES - THEY WERE DEFINITELY NOT THE BEST! ALL WHITE BAND FROM THE MULTI CULTI BOROUGH OF QUEENS WITH A BAD LEAD SINGER. GUESS I WON'T BE RECOMMENDING THE GREEN SPACE TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS. AGAIN - SHAME ON YOU, JUDGES.

Jun. 22 2010 03:56 PM
Jean from Manhattan

I'm sure the judges though the declaring this group the winner was pushing the envelope and cool, but they were not the best performance and they do not represent anything I associate with New York style and creativity-- a stunning mistake. If this is the direction that WNYC and NYC itself are taking, I guess it's time for us natives to pack up and leave it to the trendies... sad. On another note, wither change the name of the competition or do a separate competition for individual performers so they have a fairer playing field.

Jun. 22 2010 02:20 PM
Mark

They will never be on the radio.

Jun. 22 2010 07:56 AM
Ginger

To be honest, I loved the choice. Not what you what expect of NYC and isn't that what you actually expect from NYC - expect the unexpected?!?
The winners, Joe Thompson and the Comfortable Catastrophe are what the mainstream radio needs these days - some - honest - music.

Jun. 21 2010 11:52 PM
Virna from Brooklyn

I was really disappointed with the judges' decision and surprised that such a reputable group of judges selected this band. They lacked all the criteria that the competition was supposed to be based on…technical excellence, innovation, artistry and performance quality. There were far better musicians in the room that embodied all those characteristics. Really unbelievable decision.

Jun. 21 2010 02:22 PM
Sarah from Manhattan

I was disappointed with the judges decision. They were not the best band of the evening. I don't know why they were picked, or how they won. I can think of 3 other performers that evening that were more professional, had better songs, better stage presence, and were more enjoyable to watch/listen.

Many people left this event disappointed. It is a shame.

Jun. 21 2010 10:31 AM