Battle of the Boroughs 2012: FAQs
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Battle of the Boroughs.
CAN I ENTER?
If you fit into one of the following categories (ALL genres welcome), you are eligible to submit if you are not professionally represented (under management).
- Chamber Ensembles
- Performance Artists
Due to technical and space limitations, we are unable to support dancers, orchestras, or circus acts at this time.
HOW DO I SUBMIT?
Follow this link and fill out the submission form in its entirety. This will include submitting two pieces of media: (1) uploading a high-resolution photo and (2) an audio or video clip. (See our guidelines for technical specifications.) Any incomplete forms or files that do not adhere to the necessary digital requirements will not be considered.
HOW DO I WIN?
A) On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 12 pm EST on www.thegreenespace.org, we will announce the 8-12 artists that will represent each borough for a total of 40-60 individual artists or groups presented from February through June 2012. Selected artists will be notified by e-mail following the announcement.
B) Those artists will then go on to perform in the First Friday’s monthly signature series in The Greene Space based on the following schedule:
- February 3 @ 7 pm - BROOKLYN: selected artists from Brooklyn will perform
- March 2 @ 7 pm - QUEENS: selected artists from Queens will perform
- April 13 @ 7 pm - THE BRONX: selected artists from the Bronx will perform
- May 4 @ 7 pm - STATEN ISLAND: artists from Staten Island will perform
- June 1 @ 7pm - MANHATTAN: artists from Manhattan will perform
C) At each of the Battle events listed above, the in-house and webcast audiences will vote to determine the top artists of the night. The performances by the top artists will then be posted on The Greene Space website for the general public to vote. The final winner—the artist with the most online votes—will be announced on The Greene Space website, Facebook, and Twitter.
D) SEMI-FINAL CONCERT EVENT: The winner from each Battle of the Boroughs events will compete on Friday, June 29th at 7pm. The featured winner will be selected by tallying the votes from a combination of an esteemed panel of commentators, the in-house audience votes, online voting, and the webcast audience’s text votes. The winner of the Ultimate Battle will be announced that night, at 10 p.m.
HOW ARE ARTISTS SELECTED?
A team of WNYC/WQXR staff and hosts will view and adjudicate all submissions. Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Technical Excellence (a high-level of proficiency and skill in the selected art form)
- Innovation (a uniquely individual approach and style to the work)
- Artistry (honoring and expanding the genre or discipline)
- Performance Quality (providing a polished product that achieves all of the aforementioned elements)
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION?
- All digital audio or video submissions should not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- All image submissions should be .JPG, .PNG, or .GIF files.
- All audio submissions should be MP3 files uploaded via Soundcloud.
- All video submissions should be uploaded through third-party websites. We recommend YouTube or Vimeo.
- National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting have negotiated arrangements with the music licensing societies (ASCAP, BMI and SESAC), whereby we have blanket coverage for musical performances broadcast on air and in our web programming. A composition may not be covered by our arrangement with the music licensing societies because it is a new work or the music publisher of the work decides not to use the services of the music licensing societies. In these extremely rare instances, you are responsible to obtain from all necessary parties, (including, but not limited to, other music publishers, recording companies, and songwriters) any and all other licenses and rights required.
- If chosen to perform in the Battle of the Boroughs, the piece should be between 5-10 minutes in length, within the guidelines of the technical specs that are detailed below.
- You must be willing, if necessary, to bring all backline (with the exception of a drum kit and a piano).
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
All entries must be received by 11:59 pm EST, Monday, December 31 2011. Any submissions received after that time will not be considered.
WHAT WILL I WIN?
You will win a featured concert in The Greene Space that will be videocast live on www.thegreenespace.org. You will also receive a four hour multi-track recording session, an HD DVD of your performance, a broadcast quality audio recording, and a professional photo shoot of your performance to support your creative evolution.
ELIGIBILITY: Anyone at least 18 years of age or older can respond to the Battle of the Boroughs. No employees of WNYC, their immediate family or persons living in the same household are eligible for participation. Each act must include a majority of New York City residents. At least one member from the act must live in the borough in which you compete. Proof of residency will be required if you are selected to perform in a Battle of the Boroughs event.
GENERAL: By participating in The Greene Space’s Battle of the Boroughs, participants agree to the official rules, and that WNYC, its agents and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from their use or participation in the call for performances. Prize is nontransferable and cannot be exchanged for cash. There can be no substitutions for a prize of equal or greater value. National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting have negotiated arrangements with the music licensing societies (ASCAP, BMI and SESAC), whereby we have blanket coverage for musical performances broadcast on air and in our web programming. A composition may not be covered by our arrangement with the music licensing societies because it is a new work or the music publisher of the work decides not to use the services of the music licensing societies. In these extremely rare instances, you are responsible to obtain from all necessary parties, (including, but not limited to, other music publishers, recording companies, and songwriters) any and all other licenses and rights required. Copyright for the entries will remain solely with the artists, though by entering this call for art you are giving WNYC permission to use your entry on the website and in The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space. Winner’s names may be used for publicity purposes without further compensation.
RESTRICTIONS: Restrictions may apply. By participating in The Greene Space’s Battle of the Boroughs, a participant agrees to be bound by these official rules, and by all decisions of the panel.
NOTICE: WNYC Radio, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of the Website or otherwise in violation of the rules. It further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify any contest not capable of completion as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Leave a comment for The Greene Space staff below if it's a general question or email email@example.com if it's a question specific to your act.