The Brian Lehrer Show: Robert Reich, Trump, Inc., #MeToo in the Art World and the Making of a Black Feminist

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Brian Lehrer broadcasting live from The Greene Space (WNYC)

WNYC's Brian Lehrer hosted his Peabody Award-winning radio show from The Greene Space talking with political commentator, professor and author Robert Reich; WNYC's Andrea Bernstein and Ilya MarritzPriscilla Frank, arts and culture reporter for HuffPost; and Brittney Cooper, professor and author.

Watch video of individual segments below, or see the full show at the bottom of the page.

What Do Americans Owe Each Other?

Robert Reich, professor of public policy at the University of California, Berkeley, former Labor Secretary under President Bill Clinton, and the author of "The Common Good," argues it's time to return to the ideals Americans share. "If there is no common good," he writes, "there is no society."

Trump, Inc.

WNYC reporters Andrea Bernstein and Ilya Marritz talk about the latest episodes of their investigative podcast, produced in partnership with ProPublica, which looks into the president's businesses.

#MeToo in the Art World

Priscilla Frank, arts and culture reporter for HuffPost, discusses the #MeToo movement and how women's stories are impacting the art world.

The Making of a Black Feminist

Writer Brittney Cooper examines how anger has fueled her development as a feminist in her new book, "Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower." Cooper is professor of women's and gender studies and Africana studies at Rutgers University, a columnist at Cosmopolitan magazine and co-founder of the Crunk Feminist Collective.

Watch the full video below:

Guests:

Andrea Bernstein, Brittney C. Cooper, Priscilla Frank, Ilya Marritz and Robert Reich

Hosted by:

Brian Lehrer

Tags:

More in:

Comments [8]

geroge from new york city

If we start to demand political correctness from our Artists we will end up with boring art. Some of the best art is made by men and women who are literally insane. If artists commit criminal acts lock them up, but don’t stop them from making art. I recently saw a show of prison art that was absolutely amazing. While I agree that women should have equal opportunities to show at galleries and museums, I’m disturbed by steps taken by the city’s museums to rewrite history, removing important works by male artists to give space to work of lesser quality simply because the work was made by a woman. There are many great women in art history: Louise Bourgeois, Diane Arbus, Cindy Sherman, Frida Kahlo, Georgia O’Keeffe, Louise Nevelson, Bridget Riley, Yayoi Kusama, Joan Mitchell, Agnes Martin to name a few, but lets not pretend there was always an equal number of women dedicating their lives to art. Becoming a recognized artist is a nearly impossible defeat for anybody. Most of the male artists of art history were “starving artists”. And today, luck, connections and financial support will have a greater impact on your art career than your sex. A woman who graduated from Yale or Columbia is more likely to end up i the Whitney Biennial, than a white straight male who went to community college in Omaha. I would even go as far as saying that if you’re a black female who graduated from Columbia and make decent enough work that speaks about racism and feminism, you’re pretty much guaranteed an art career.

Feb. 20 2018 06:49 PM
irv from NYC

Bravo to the brave fellow who described #me too as turning into a Reign of Terror!
Notice how Brian avoided naming Lenny Lopate and Jonathan Schwartz when the speaker started talking about people being disappeared from the station without any satisfying explanation from the station.

I have no respect for Brian Lehrer anymore as a radio host or person. He's more concerned with keeping his $400,000 job than presenting the truth anymore.

The hosts that have tried to replace Lopate are incapable of conducting a serious interview, like the giggler who interrupts serious comments from the guests with a loud, involuntary giggle, which confuses the guests.

Feb. 20 2018 01:58 PM
Mr. M. Miller from Newark, NJ

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - "We must learn to live as brothers or perish together as fools."

enough said.

Feb. 20 2018 11:56 AM
T. Williams from Brooklyn

The woman speaking now, is the reason why men like me, who cheered, hooted and hollered from my seat while witnessing the positive, strong, beautiful woman portrayed in Black Panther.
You are not helping when you start a conversation in your, you should not speak if you don't agree with me, tude.
Rolling my eyes and walking away......

Wakanda Forever!

Feb. 20 2018 11:50 AM
Alex H. from NYC

I feel that the petition to include the phrase "Some viewers find this piece offensive or disturbing, given Balthus’ artistic infatuation with young girls." has some relation to the advent of Twitter and other social media, which has made some people feel like they must broadcast their opinions on various topics to the entire world.

Then do we add another piece of text saying "Some viewers disagree with the viewers above" etc etc? Is that less valid then the first proposed addition?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but must the public read about those opinions on a piece of artwork when visiting a museum?

Feb. 20 2018 11:40 AM
emjayay from Brooklyn

The woman currently speaking knows thousands of women who were assaulted by men?

Feb. 20 2018 11:33 AM
SarlmGer

Ha! Hearing Prof. Reich's explain why stock buybacks are "bad" and actual perversions of free market principles prompted me to recall a moment over a decade ago, while working as a temporary reporter at a NYC business pub., when I pitched an article conveying this exact story idea to the editor, following weeks of pouring over corporate SEC filings and seeing the obvious trends.
His reaction was to excoriate me, red-faced, in front of the newsroom for my naivete. My other idea, that banks were making more money from needless fees and bending rules than from actual traditional banking, didn't sit well either.
I was glad to be able to respond honestly--if rather politely--since this was a job I was trying out for but didn't need, at a newsroom I respected immensely, and I needed him to know what I was about, if I were to keep working there.
Needless to say, I did not keep working there.
But following the mortgage scandal that came a couple years after that (kids know it today in its rewritten form, "economic crisis"), I at least got some satisfaction in my assumption that this editor eventually saw my predictions were not just correct but also obvious, in retrospect. Therefore, I was slightly disappointed when, in today's show, that very same editor's latest economic instincts, in vintage form, were presented to Prof. Reich as the businessman's provocative counterpoint (which he amusingly ignored).

Feb. 20 2018 11:22 AM
Allen Swerdlowe from Weston, CT

Love the live broadcast. You should do this on a daily basis.

Feb. 20 2018 10:43 AM