Recipe: Halal Eggplant Ceviche
Originally Aired: Friday, October 23, 2020
The Greene Space
Donate $10 a month or more to support us and all the programs you love from WNYC, WQXR, and your favorite podcasts.
1 pound shiro miso paste
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to boil. Lower to simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath.
1 bottle rice vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 red Thai chili (minced and seeded)
1 knob of ginger, grated
1 lemon, juiced
Combine all ingredients.
Trumpet mushrooms (raw) – 8 slices of the stem cut on a bias
Sesame seeds (for garnish)
Cilantro leaves (for garnish)
1. Peel eggplant and dice into small cubes
2. Fry in canola oil until the eggplant turns a dark brown color (it will almost look burned).
3. Transfer to bowl and add a few splashes of water, then the miso sauce, until all of the eggplant clumps together.
4. Slice the stems of the trumpet mushrooms on a bias. Mushrooms with large, thick stems are ideal.
5. Spoon the eggplant onto the mushrooms
6. Spoon miso sauce on top
7. Pour ponzu sauce around dish
Make a monthly donation of $10 a month to support all our Greene Space shows and the programs you love from WNYC, WQXR and your favorite podcasts.